Monday, November 1, 2010

Taking Inspiration from Fashion

I recently indulged in the many videos of the Spring '11 runway shows at Style.com. What is really awesome about watching the videos opposed to just checking out the slide shows is hearing what the designers and others have to say about the collections and in some cases, how they were made. Of course, the information is a lot to pack in to two and a half minutes, but even in the brief examples you can really get a sense of the craftsmanship which goes into each production.

As an artist, it is especially interesting to me to see how the designers communicate a new vision visually each season with their materials. This season I am really inspired by the creative interpretations by each designer exploring the medium of clothing and how it can possibly be incorporated into my own paintings.

I really loved the warrior hair and bad-ass bitch appeal of Givenchy.

Rick Owens had alien priestesses with these amazing hair combs.

Proenza Schouler explained the process of making this lacy material which is made on some kind of loom and then burned away.

Gucci really surprised me with these hyper colorful tribal ornamentations.

Miuccia Prada, genius as always, had these weird candy-colored furs and stripe combinations.

Rodarte had an incredibly strange production, full of woodsy references and these layered patterns.

I loved Dries van Noten's use of bleaching textiles out of his silks.

More of Proenza Schouler's painterly innovations.

Balmain's punk, dirty freakout with the most luxurious materials.

Balenciaga's super drippy chained shoes.

And Louis Vuitton's ultimate luxe beaded fringe.

I can't quite say how each of these images will come out in my paintings, but I love being inspired by the aesthetics and fantasy of fashion. I'm so grateful to have a completely new slew of mentors each season to inform my paintings.

All images from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment