Sunday, June 27, 2010

James Gobel Opening

I recently checked out James Gobel's exhibition at Marx & Zavattero Gallery at 77 Geary in San Francisco. It was great to see James, one of my favorite professors at CCA, and to check out what kind of work he's been making when he's not cracking a smart, insightful art whip on us grad students: "I Get What I Want and I Always Get it Again!"


One of many paintings of beautiful, rotund men.

That's James in the black and white stripes. There were lots of real life rotund men, too. More that I have ever seen in one hot, sweaty gallery room before!


The scene, with a new venture for James- flannel covered sculptures!



It's difficult to get an idea of the craftsmanship of James's work in photos. They are not really paintings but pieces of felt closely laid together in exquisite detail, like stained glass. Yarn serves as the lines, and spray paint does the shading. I loved the new details of metallic chain strands and rhinestones!

If you would like to see the show, it will be up until July 17. It's so worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment