Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Did It First!


Francesco Vezzoli, "Sacrilegio" at the Gagosian Gallery in New York through March 12

Annie Leibovitz Photograph from Vogue

Recently I flipped through the January issue of Vogue and discovered a new show by Italian artist Francesco Vezzoli, promoted with a sumptuous portrait of his mother holding him as a madonna and child by Annie Leibovitz. at the Gagosian Gallery in New York called "Sacrilegio".  The mixed media prints/embroidery/paintings are all images of models depicted as Madonnas, which struck me as hilarious since I have painted a few similar images.  Vezzoli, as it turns out, is quite an interesting artist, using similar ideas of desire and commodity with perfume, etc., and boasts an important resume including (duh Gagosian) the LA MoCA, the NY New Museum, and the London Tate Modern.  

I made these paintings because I thought it was a funny way to reference our obsessions with escapist imagery, either through religious icons or contemporary models.  It wade perfect sense to combine the two.  In the first one, I made a model holding another smaller model, and in the second I drew an ad where a girl model comforted a male model as if she were a Madonna.

Serena Cole Images
Madonna with Child, 2009

A New Madonna, 2009

Francesco Vezzoli Images

CRYING PORTRAIT OF NAOMI CAMPBELL AS A RENAISSANCE MADONNA WITH HOLY CHILD (AFTER CIMA DA CONEGLIANO), 2010

CRYING PORTRAIT OF TATJANA PATITZ AS A RENAISSANCE MADONNA WITH HOLY CHILD (AFTER RAFFAELLO), 2010

Images from Gagosian website

No comments:

Post a Comment