Thursday, August 5, 2010

In the Mission: Tahiti Pehrson and Triple Base


I was on my way to the opening of Triple Base's most recent exhibition, "Now it's About What You Can't See", (featuring my buddy Rachel Foster, with Mara Baldwin, a recent CCA grad, Chechu Alava, a French painter, and Eleanor Kent, a working artist whose artwork dates back to the Bay Area Figurative Movement of the 1960s), when I passed Tahiti Pehrson's project for the Art in Storefronts Project.

The Art in Storefronts Project is funded by the city of San Francisco and sponsors artists to set up work in uninhabited spaces of the city to brighten the place up a bit. I saw Tahiti's window installation on 24th street when it opened in December, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it was still up so I could get a few photos.

Tahiti's work consists of millions of cut-out paper pieces layered together to form really lovely patterns and narratives. A few years ago we had a two-person show at 111 Minna and I have admired his work ever since. When I asked him how his work was coming for an upcoming exhibition, he said his tendons were like rocks. Now that's dedication to a craft.



Then I walked down the street to Triple Base. Here is Mara Baldwin's wallpaper and watercolor collaged piece. Another artist with supreme attention to detail.

CCA ladies of the evening, Rachel Foster and Natasha Wheat. I think they were discussing the lengths they would go to further our careers upon graduating next year.


Rachel Foster's witty ghost-like white on white silkscreen on the walls.

Another Mara Baldwin drawing.

An early Eleanor Kent painting from the Bay Area Figurative days.

Someone checking out the tons of new flat file works in the back room.

The scene (that's Eleanor Kent in the foreground).

No comments:

Post a Comment