Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fashion love


I was recently featured in a strange street fashion/art mash-up post by Mr Price Blog/ In the Fashion Loop that I would have never expected but I kinda liked. It leads me to question how my work fits into the art world as well as the fashion world. While the paintings borrow imagery from fashion, I don't feel I should be regarded as an illustrator in any way, of which I often am labeled. My images are based on the work of many industry professionals: the photographer, the clothing designer, the lighting techs, the beauty people, and the models themselves, but get reinterpreted.

So what am I doing that is any different? I ask myself that all the time. I think the difference is removing the image from the glossy page of the magazine and asking you to look at it as a painting. I want to know what similarities come up from seeing it in the same context another portrait painting, like a Bronzino, or even a Kurt Kauper. What are the boundaries? What is stealing and what is inventive?

Fashion images fascinate me and I suppose it should come as no surprise that I get the most love from the fashion-inspired blogosphere, and for that I am grateful. I still can't help getting confused. I hope people don't think I created the whole image from scratch. I couldn't design a dress for my ladies one percent as amazing as Gaultier would and I don't want the false credit. I didn't even make up the hair styles in all cases- the one below is courtesy of i-D. Now Vlada riding around in her hair? That was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment